Seal of the Senate of the State of Texas Welcome to the Official Website for the Texas Senate
Seal of the Senate of the State of Texas
Welcome to the official website for the
Texas Senate
Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa: District 20
Masthead Graphic
Press Release
July 7, 2023
Contact: (512) 463-0120
Senator Hinojosa Announces the Texas Utility Help Program Accepting Applications for Assistance With Energy and Water Bills

AUSTIN, TX — Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa is pleased to announce that the Texas Utility Help program is accepting applications for energy assistance. In addition, the program is now offering assistance for past-due and future water and wastewater bills through September 30, 2023.

Administered by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA), Texas Utility Help is funded by the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and federal Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). The program aims to provide financial support to eligible households by making direct payments to utility companies on their behalf. Texas Utility Help is available to qualified homeowners and renters with low income.

Under the Energy Program and the Water Program, eligible households may receive assistance for electricity, gas, propane, water and wastewater bills. This assistance can cover both past-due amounts owed and up to $2,400 for prospective payments through September 30, 2023, depending on household income.

Senator Hinojosa emphasizes the importance of this program in helping residents in need. He states, "Texas Utility Help program is a lifeline for many families struggling to make ends meet. By providing financial assistance for energy and water bills, we can alleviate the burden on low-income households and ensure they have access to essential utilities. This program is a testament to our commitment to supporting our communities, our families, and improving the quality of life for all Texans."

Senator Hinojosa's office is ready to assist anyone who needs help filling out the application. Residents can call his office or visit the district offices for guidance and support.

For more information and to apply for Texas Utility Help, please visit, call 1-855-566-2057, or contact Senator Hinojosa's office at:

Edinburg District Office
1508 S. Lone Star Way, Suite 6
Edinburg, TX 78539

Corpus Christi District Office
602 N. Staples Street, Suite 200
Corpus Christi, TX 78401

Capitol Office
1400 Congress, Office 3E.6
Austin, TX 78701