P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 30, 2019
On the agenda: Article VI - Natural Resources
General Land Office and Veterans' Land Board
Department of Agriculture
Parks and Wildlife Department
Animal Health Commission
Commission on Environmental Quality
Soil and Water Conservation Board
Water Development Board
Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Compact Commission
Key Points for Today's Hearing
- SB 1 includes an 100-percent appropriation of the available sporting goods sales tax to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, authorizing $313M to fund our state parks -- an increase of $37M and the largest allocation in state history.
- SB 1 maintains $45M to continue the state's investment in air quality monitoring systems, including for the Barnett Shale, at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- The Senate budget includes $171M for large-scale beach preservation and erosion coastal construction projects.
- SB 1 also appropriates $2.6M to create a new Skimmer Fraud Unit at the Texas Department of Agriculture. The Unit will implement a detection, investigation, and enforcement program for fuel pump credit card skimmers.
- The Senate budget prioritizes funding at the Animal Health Commission for Cattle Fever Tick quarantine zones and Chronic Wasting Disease surveillance and testing.
Statement from Senator Nelson: "We are truly blessed to live in a state with a wealth of natural resources, and it is our responsibility to make sure we are properly preserving these treasures," said Senator Nelson. "SB 1 also ensures that we are protecting public health and safety, today and for generations to come, by keeping our environment clean and beautiful."