LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / ESPAÑOL
Seal of the Senate of the State of Texas Welcome to the Official Website for the Texas Senate
Seal of the Senate of the State of Texas
Welcome to the official website for the
Texas Senate
 
Senator Jane Nelson: District 12
Senator Jane Nelson
P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 24, 2019
Contact: Alexa Hoisager
512-463-0370
TODAY IN FINANCE

On the agenda: Article I - General Government

Office of the Governor and Governor's Trusteed Programs
Office of the Attorney General
Secretary of State
Historical Commission
Department of Information Resources
Texas Ethics Commission

View the posting at https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/86R/schedules/html/C5402019012409001.HTM.

Highlights for Today's Hearing

  • SB 1 continues funding for economic development efforts through the Governor's Trusteed Programs, including $100M in General Revenue for the Texas Enterprise Fund, which is used to attract businesses to our state. Additionally, the Disaster Fund is replenished with $100M in Economic Stabilization Funds in the Supplemental Budget, SB 500.
  • The Senate's budget increases funding to combat human trafficking by $64M -- up to $89M across state government -- and supports victims of sexual assault and domestic abuse with the following increases for the Office of the Attorney General:
    • $1M to launch a new telemedicine program, defined in SB 71 by Senator Nelson, to expand forensic services for victims of sexual assault;
    • $7.5M in new funding to expand rape crisis center capacity statewide and end service waitlists for victims; and
    • $2.8M to expand human trafficking prosecution resources.
  • SB 1 appropriates 100 percent of the eligible Sporting Goods Sales Tax revenue to parks and historical preservation. Of the amount collected, the Historical Commission will receive 6 percent with Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission receiving the remaining 94 percent. The Historical Commission is expected to receive $20M, up by $2M over current levels, to operate, preserve and maintain historic sites.
  • SB 1 leverages $1.2M in state dollars to draw down $23.3M in federal funding to improve election security.
  • State costs for -- and reliance on -- information technology (IT) continue to rise. SB 1 includes more than $1B to enhance cybersecurity, address IT needs, including the expansion of multi-factor authentication to additional high-risk state agency systems and the replacement of legacy IT systems to bolster our safeguards of sensitive information.

Statement from Senator Nelson: "I am personally committed to protecting and supporting survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking. SB 1 provides resources to help these populations heal and hold perpetrators accountable," said Senator Nelson. "SB 1 sets aside more than $1 billion to address cybersecurity, legacy system replacement and other information technology projects to fortify state agency networks and sensitive data. These funds will help secure Texas against cyber attack, a real and present danger facing our state. Additionally, we will preserve Texas' rich history for future generations by fully allocating the Sporting Goods Sales Tax."

###