P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 18, 2017
AUSTIN – The Senate Finance Committee chaired by Texas State Senator Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, today passed CSHB 2, which provides supplemental appropriations for the current 2016-2017 budget. Each session, the Legislature approves a supplemental budget to address revised revenue estimates and supplemental needs.
"This legislation protects the most vulnerable among us -- our children. It balances the ledger for our current budget and puts Texas in a strong position to meet the challenges ahead," Senator Nelson said.
CSHB 2, as passed today in committee, appropriates roughly $1 billion GR for FY 16-17, including:
- $160 million to address needs at Child Protective Services, primarily to fund "critical needs" resources approved over the interim;
- $794 million to address the Medicaid shortfall;
- $4.5 million for needs in the Early Childhood Intervention program;
- $7.4 million for Texas Forest Service reimbursement for aiding in the response to natural disasters, such as fires and flooding;
- $80 million to pay current obligations related to the Constitutional requirement to provide Correctional Managed Healthcare;
- New restrictions that prevent the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission from expending appropriated funds on travel outside the state; and
- $80 million in savings from lease payment and bond debt service reductions at the Facilities Commission, Texas Public Finance Authority, and Texas Department of Transportation.
CSHB 2 will now go before the full Senate for consideration before returning to the Texas House of Representatives.