P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
On the agenda: Article IV - Judiciary & Article VI - Natural Resources
Office of Court Administration
Indigent Defense Commission
State Law Library
General Land Office
Department of Agriculture
Parks & Wildlife Department
Commission on Environmental Quality
Key Points for Today's Hearing
- SB 1 includes $800.1 million for Article IV, which funds the judiciary.
- Article IV was largely maintained to preserve Texans' access to justice, including a decrease of $13.2 million, or 1.6 percent, from FY 16-17.
- SB 1 provides $4.3 billion for Article VI, which funds agencies related to natural resources.
- SB 1 provides $162.6 million All Funds for the Railroad Commission, which has experienced a $44.9 million decrease in fee collections due to declining oil and gas activity. The agency is asking for a supplemental appropriation from General Revenue to make up the shortfall.
- SB 1 provides $263 million All Funds for the General Land Office (GLO), which is asking for $43.5 million for the Alamo. Last session the GLO received $32.1 million for the Alamo – a $30 million increase in General Revenue over the previous session.
- SB provides $1.5 billion in All Funds for the Texas Department of Agriculture. The agency oversees a variety of programs including "Texas Feeding Texans" which helps feed millions of hungry Texans across the state, educates them on nutritional choices, and helps provide access to healthy food.
Statement from Senator Nelson: “The judiciary is an essential branch of government, and SB 1 maintains access the justice system,” Senator Nelson said. “As someone who lives in the Barnett Shale, I am committed to ensuring that we protect health and safety as our economy continues to benefit from Texas’ rich supply of natural resources.”