P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
On the agenda: Article IV Judiciary & Article V Public Safety
Supreme Court of Texas
Court of Criminal Appeals
Department of Public Safety
Department of Criminal Justice – Correctional Managed Care
Juvenile Justice Department
Alcoholic Beverage Commission
Key Points for Today's Hearing
- SB 1 includes $800.1 million for Article IV, which funds the judiciary.
- Article IV was largely maintained to preserve Texans’ access to justice, including a decrease of $13.2 million, or 1.6 percent, from FY 16-17.
- SB 1 includes $12.3 billion, a 1.4 percent decrease, for Article V, which includes agencies of public safety.
- Because Texas remains committed to securing the border, SB 1 maintains the $800 million approved last session, while the Legislature keeps a close eye on potential border security actions on the federal level. Included in the $800 million this session is 250 new DPS troopers along the border.
- SB 1 also provides $25 million in Article I for high-caliber bullet proof vests for Texas law enforcement officers.
Statement from Senator Nelson: “The judiciary is an essential branch of government, and SB 1 maintains access to the justice system,” she said. “This budget prioritizes public safety – a fundamental responsibility of government. We remain committed to border security and hope the new administration moves quickly to do their part to secure our porous border.”