Senate Committee on Education
Subcommittee on Higher Education
NOTE: This is archived committee information from the 78th Legislative Session.
Leticia Van de Putte
Video/Audio — Archives
78th Session Interim
78th Regular Session
The following reports are available for download:
- Study the impact of admissions policies on enrollment in Texas public institutions and make recommendations for improving the admissions procedures, as necessary. The study should include, but not be limited to, a review of recent court decisions on college admissions policies, and an evaluation of the impact of the "Top 10%" law on college admissions.
- Study and make recommendations on the proper role, scope, and mission of community colleges. Develop innovative approaches to incorporating the community college system into the delivery of K through 16 education. Study the feasibility of allowing community college districts to expand their service areas for taxing purposes.
- Study developmental education programs in public higher education institutions. Identify alternative means of assessing the need for developmental education, the effectiveness of delivery of developmental education programs, and the appropriate role of developmental education.
- Study and make recommendations to modify the student financial assistance programs to provide better incentives for students to graduate on time with better grades, such as the B-On-Time program and work-study programs, and to simplify the application process for financial aid programs.
- Review and make recommendations relating to the adequacy of funding for graduate medical education, including funding required for professors, facilities, research programs and students. Review and make recommendations relating to increasing the number of health professionals.
Joint Interim Charges with the Senate Finance Committee
- Study and make recommendations relating to the development of a statewide accountability system for higher education that is consistent with funding strategies for higher education.
- Study and make recommendations evaluating the cost of increasing the number of Tier 1 universities in Texas. Reexamine current and alternative methods of funding regional universities, community colleges, health science centers and their reimbursement for the provision of indigent health care, and universities.
- Study the budgetary impact of legislation to deregulate tuition at institutions of higher education. This study should include, but not be limited to, a review of recent tuition increases authorized by this Act, their impact on affordability of higher education, and an evaluation of the expenditure of these funds.