FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 1, 2002
As parents prepare to send their children back to school, the Children's Health Coalition will release new data showing how many kids in Texas are eligible for CHIP and Children's Medicaid but remain tragically uninsured. The data, compiled by the Urban Institute, also estimates the overall number of uninsured children in Texas, as well as the number of children who are enrolled in CHIP and Medicaid.
The Children's Health Coalition will kick off its annual Back-to-School effort with a news conference and enrollment event. During August and September, Covering Kids coalitions coast to coast, along with national and local organizations, will host more than 1,000 enrollment events and activities where families can learn about the low-cost and no-cost health care coverage available through programs like CHIP and Children's Medicaid. Rio Grande Valley organizations will host over 20 enrollment and informational events during the week of August 1 to August 8. Covering Kids is a national program of The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- News Conference to:
- Release data, compiled by the Urban Institute, detailing how many Texas children are:
- Enrolled in CHIP and Children's Medicaid
- Eligible but not enrolled in CHIP or Children's Medicaid
- Unveil organizational partnerships in the Rio Grande Valley
- Kick off the CHIP and Children's Medicaid Back-to-School 2002 enrollment drive
- Eddie Lucio, State Senator
- Sylvia Handy, Hidalgo County Commissioner
- Jana Blasi, Texas Association of Community Health Centers
- Luisa Saenz, Children's Defense Fund and The Children's Health Coalition of the Rio Grande Valley
- Jose Soto, Driscoll Children's Hospital
- Area families whose children are enrolled in CHIP and Children's Medicaid
The Boy's and Girl's Club of Weslaco, TX
801 W. Huisache
THURSDAY, AUGUST 1, 2002, 10:00AM
- Information on Texas income/eligibility requirements and a listing of Back-to-School enrollment activities throughout the Rio Grande Valley are available upon request.
- B-roll footage of enrollment events/activities around the nation, children headed back to school, children getting medical check ups, plus sound bites from the Washington, D.C. news event will be available at the event or on Thursday, Aug. 1 from 2-2:30 p.m. (ET) at Tel 6/8 (c) band; Friday, Aug. 2 from 10-10:30 a.m. (ET) at Tel 5/16 (c) band and Tuesday, Aug. 6 from 2-2:30p.m. at Tel 6/8 (c) band.