P.O. Box 12068, State Capitol
Austin, Texas 78711
Tel. (512) 463-0112
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 4, 2019
AUSTIN – The Texas Senate today unanimously approved SB 3 by Texas State Senator Jane Nelson, R-Flower Mound, providing a permanent $5,000 annual salary increase for every classroom teacher in the state. The bill now goes to the Texas House of Representatives for further consideration.
"It has been a decade since teachers received a small raise from the state," said Senator Nelson. "It's been two decades since they received a meaningful raise. It's time to give our teachers -- all of our teachers -- a raise."
Specifically, SB 3:
- Establishes a new Classroom Teacher Salary Allotment;
- Directs that each classroom teacher and librarian is entitled to a $5000 salary increase above their 2018-19 school year salary;
- Specifies that raise is paid for by the state;
- Clarifies that this bill does not preclude districts from offering merit raises; and
- Ensures that districts may not use these dollars to supplant current salaries.
SB 1, the Senate's base budget, includes $3.7B for SB 3. Teacher pay was designated as an emergency item by Governor Abbott in his State of the State Address.