Contact: Megan Hanson
On the agenda: Article IV
- Supreme Court of Texas
- Court of Criminal Appeals
- Various Judicial Courts and Offices
- Public Integrity Unit
For the full agenda, please view the posting online
- The Legislature appropriated $7.3M for the Public Integrity Unit (PIU) in the FY 14-15 but that funding was vetoed.
- The PIU is funded through the Office of the Comptroller's Judiciary Division and handles tobacco sales tax fraud, insurance fraud, motor vehicle fuels tax fraud and offenses involving state government.
- SB 2 keeps funding levels for the PIU at zero as the Legislature considers the future of the unit this session.
Statement from Senator Nelson:
"The functions of the Public Integrity Unit are important, but they need to be carried out by individuals who are accountable to the entire state, not just the voters of one county. We have all session to consider where these functions should be housed and at what level they should be funded."
To watch the Senate Finance Committee hearing online, click here.
Senator Jane Nelson
Chair, Senate Finance Committee